U.S. Naturalization 100 Civics Questions and Answers in Zolai
CIVICS (History and Government) Questions & Answers for the Naturalization Test (United States gammi suah nading theihhuai thute dotna leh dawn’na)
The 100 civics (history and government) questions and answers for the naturalization test are listed below. The civics test is an oral test and the USCIS Officer will ask the applicant up to 10 of the 100 civics questions. An applicant must answer 6 out of 10 questions correctly to pass the civics portion of the nationalization test.
Gammi suah nading gammi tawh kisai (tangthu leh ki-uk zia) dotna 100 ahi hi. Laivuanna-ah kam aa dot hi aa, USCIS Ulian te’n, 100 sung pan 10 hong dong ding hi. 10 sung pan 6 limtak-in dawn’kik theih kul hi.
If you are 65 years old or older and have been a legal permanent resident of the United States for 20 or more years, you may study just the questions that have been marked with an asterisk. (Pages 3, 5-10, 17, 18, 21, 22, 27, 29, 31, 32, 35-38)
Kum 65 leh a tungsiah pha-in America gam-ah a om tawntung, kum 20 leh a tungsiah a om khin-te in asterisk (*) tawh ki lak-te bek ciamteh ding ahi hi. (Laimai 3, 5-10, 17, 18, 21, 22, 27, 29, 31, 32, 35-38)
AMERICAN GOVERNMENT – AMERICAN GAM KI-UKZIA THU
A. Principles of American Democracy – American gam Democracy Thubulpite
1. What is the supreme law of the land? – USA gam ii zuih thukhun Upadi thupi pen bang hiam?
The Constitution – Gamki-ukna Thukhunpi hi
2. What does the Constitution do? – Gamki-ukna Thukhunpi in bangteng vaan hiam?
- Sets up the government – Gam-uk ding kumpi phut
- defines the government – Ki-ukzia ding geel
- protects basic rights of Americans – Americans mite’ septheih leh ngahtheih peuhmah peelhem saklo (protects)
3. The idea of self-government is in the first three words of the Constitution. What are these
words? – Gamki-ukna Thukhunpi sungah ei leh ei ki-ukzia ding lamlak kammal thumte bang hiam?
We the People – Ei mipite
4. What is an amendment? – Upadi Puahphatna/ behlapna (Amendment) icih bang hiam?
- A change (to the Constitution) – Akikheelna khat
- An addition (to the Constitution) – Guanbeh (Behlap)
5. What do we call the first ten amendments to the Constitution? – Gamki-ukna Thukhunpi sungah Puahphat masakna sawmte bang kici hiam?
The Bill of Rights – Hamphatnading Upadi
6. *What is one right or freedom from the First Amendment? – Tua Puahphat Masakna ah hamphatna ahihkeh suahtakna khat bang ahia?
- Speech – Suaktataka thugentheihna
- Religion – Suaktataka Biakpiaktheihna
- Assembly – Suaktataka Kikaihkhoptheihna
- Press – Suaktataka Laigelh leh hawmtheihna
- Petition the government – Suaktataka Kumpi tungah lungkimlohna gentheih/ pulaktheihna
7. How many amendments does the Constitution have? – Gamki-ukna Thukhunpi bangzah vei kipuahpha ta hiam?
Twenty seven – 27 vei
8. What did the Declaration of Independence do? – Suahtakna Thutangkopina bang hiam?
- Announced our independence (from Great Britain) – Great Britain te kiangpan) suahtak tangkona
- Declared our independence (from Great Britain) – Great Britain te kiangpan) suahtak pulakkhia
- Said that the United States is free (from Great Britain) – (Great Britain te kiangpan) Americante (United States) suakta hi ei cihkhiatna
9. What are two rights in the Declaration of Independence? – Suahtakna Thutangkopi in hong phal hamphatna thunihte bang a hia?
- Life – Nuntak khuasakna
- Liberty – Kiphalna
- Pursuit of happiness – Nopsak banga zontheihna
10. What is freedom of religion? – Biakna Suahtakna in bang hiam?
You can practice any religion, or not practice religion – Biakna khat peuhpeuh ah na utleh biathei/bialothei lel a omna
11. * What is the economic system in the United States? – United States ah kizang neih-le-lam,silh-le-teen khantohna (sipuazi paizia) ah bangdan in pai hiam?
- Capitalist economy – Aziansian sanit (Sumneite bulphuh) paizia
- Market economy – Sumzuaknamun thupitsakna (Zaykuat sipuazi)
12. What is the “rule of law”? – Upadi tawh ki-uk cih bang hiam?
- Everyone must follow the law – Mikim in upadi zui/mang ding
- Leaders must obey the law – Makaite in zong upadi zui/mang ding
- Government must obey the law – Kumpi in zong upadi zui/mang ding
- No one is above the law – Kuamahpeuh upadi huamkhakloh omtuansaklo ding
B. System of Government – Ki-ukna Kumpi kilamzia
13. *Name one branch or part of the government? – Ki-ukna Kumpi kilamzia ah akihel ahiang thupi khat min pulak sin aw.
- Congress – Hluttaw
- Legislative – Upadi bawlna
- President – President
- Executive – Thuvaanpite
- The courts – Thukhenzumte
- Judicial – Thukhenmangte
14. What stops one branch of government from becoming too powerful? – Tua Ki-ukna ah ahiang khat in aana aneihluatloh nading in bangci ki-gak hiam?
- Checks and balances – Ki-etcikna tawh
- Separation of powers – Aana hawm/khenna tawh
15. Who is in charge of the executive branch? – A thuneipi pen kua ahiam?
The president – President
16. Who makes federal laws? – Federal ki-ukna upadi kua in geel hiam?
- Congress – Hlutdaw
- Senate and House (of Representatives) – Pyine Kusale Amat leh Taangmi Kusale
- (US or national) legislature – Gam ahihkeh Amyotha Upadi bawl Hluttaw
17. * What are the two parts of the U.S. Congress? – U.S Congress (Hluttaw) ah dawl nihte bang hiam?
The Senate and House(of Representatives) – Pyine Hluttaw leh Taangmi Hluttaw
18. How many U.S. Senators are there? – Pyine Amat (Senator) bangzah om hiam?
One hundred (100) – Za khat (100)
19. We elect a U.S.Senator for how many years? – Senator khat in kum bangzah sem dingin kiteel ahia?
Six (6) – Kumguk (6)
20. *Who is one of your state’s U.S. Senators now? – Tulaitak in no Pyine (State) ah Hluttaw (Senator)amat khat kua hiam?
Answer will vary. [District of Columbia residents and residents of U.S. territories should
answer that D.C. (or the territory where the applicant lives)has no U.S. Senators.] – Dawnna atuamtuam suak ding.(District of Columbia-DC ateengte in bel neilo)
21. The House of Representatives has how many voting members? – Taangmi Hluttaw (House of Representatives) ah member mi bangzah kiteel hiam?
Four hundred thirty-five (435) – zali sawmthum nga (435)
22. We elect a U.S.Representative for how many years? – U.S. Taangmi Hluttaw kusale khat kum bangzah sem dingin kiteel hiam?
Two (2) – Kumnih (2)
23. Name your U.S.Representative. – No ii Taangmi Hluttaw Kusale kua hiam?
Answers will vary. [Residents of territories with nonvoting Delegates or Resident Commissioners may provide the name of that Delegate of Commissioner. Also acceptable is any statement that the territory has no (voting) Representatives in congress.] – Dawnna atuamtuam suak ding (Me khia khaloten neilo ahihteh Menzipa – Commissioner pa min genthei)
24. Who does a U.S. Senator represent? – U.S Pyine Hluttaw kusale khat in kuate ii taangmi ahihiam?
All people of the state – Ama pyine (state) a om mi khempeuh
25. Why do some states have more Representatives than other states? – Banghang in State pawl khat ah Taangmi kusale adangte sangin tam zaw hiam?
- (Because of) the state’s population – Amau pyine ah miphazah tawh kisai hang
- (Because) they have more people – Amau pyine ah mipibup atamzawk hang
- (Because) some states have more people – Pyine khat leh khat ah miphazah akibatlohna hang hi
26. We elect a President for how many years? – President in kum bangtan sem dingin kiteel ahihiam?
Four (4) – Kumli (4)
27. *In what month do we vote for President? – President kiteel hun bang kha hiam?
November – November
28. *What is the name of the President of the United States now? – Tulaitak United States ii President (Thamada) min kua hiam?
Donald Trump – Donald Trump
29. What is the name of the Vice President of the United States now? – Tulaitak United States ii Vice President (Thamada azom pa) min bang hiam?
Mike Pence – Mike Pence
30. If the President can no longer serve, who becomes President? – President in sem thei nonlo hileh kua President suak ding hiam?
The Vice-president – President zompa
31. If both the President and the Vice President can no longer serve, who becomes President? – President leh Vice President in semthei nonlo hileh kua President suak ding hiam?
The Speaker of the House – Hluttaw Okkathah Pa
32. Who is the Commander in Chief of the military? – Galkap lam ah a uk alian pen kua ahihiam?
The President – President pa
33. Who signs bills to become laws? – Upadi kigeel akipsak nading in kua in letmat thuh hiam?
The President – President pa
34. Who vetoes bills? – Kua in Upadi kigeel khat nial thei hiam?
The President – President pa
35. What does the President’s Cabinet do? – President ii vuanzite in bang sem uh hiam?
Advises the President – President pa tungah thuko/puak ding
36. What are two Cabinet-level positions? – Vuanzi za panmun nih bang hiam?
- Secretary of Agriculture – Lokho (Agriculture) Vuanzi
- Secretary of Commerce – Sumbawlnalam (Commerce) Vuanzi
- Secretary of Defense – Gamhutna Vuanzi
- Secretary of Education – Pilsinna Vuanzi
- Secretary of Energy – Meitha (Energy) Vuanzi
- Secretary of Health and Human Services – Cidamna leh Mihingte Nasepna Vuanzi
- Secretary of Homeland Security – Gamsung humbitna Vuanzi
- Secretary of Housing and Urban Development – Inn leh khuapi khantohna Vuanzi( Housing and Urban Development)
- Secretary of the Interior – Pyithezi Vuanzi (Interior)
- Secretary of Labor – Nasepna lam Vuanzi
- Secretary of State – Gamdang Vuanzi
- Secretary of Transportation – Puhsaungzi Vuanzi (Transport)
- Secretary of the Treasury – Sumkeem Vuanzi
- Secretary of Veterans Affairs – Galkapluite/Pensente Vuanzi
- Attorney General – Sitnichoh zum
- Vice President – President zom pa
37. What does the judicial branch do? – Thukhen mang in bang sem hiam?
- Reviews laws – Upadi enphaphakik
- Explains laws – Upadi telgenkhia
- Resolves disputes (disagreements) – Kinialtheihnate lemtuah
- Decides if a law goes against the Constitution – Upadi leh Gamki-ukna Thukhun kikeelkite khentat
38. What is the highest court in the United States? – United States ah thukhen zum a sang pen bang hiam?
The Supreme Court – Tazazungchoh
39. How many justices are on the Supreme Court? – Supreme Court ah Thukhen Mang bangzah om hiam?
Nine (9) – Kua (9)
40. Who is the Chief Justice of the United States now? – Tulaitak United States ah Thukhenmangpi kua hiam?
John Roberts (John Glover Roberts Jr.) – John Roberts (John Glover Roberts Jr.)
41. Under our Constitution, some powers belong to the federal government. What is one power of the federal government? – Gamki-ukna Thukhunpi nuai ah aana neihna Gambup Kumpi (Federal Government) in nei hi. Gambup Kumpi neihtheih aana khat bang hiam?
- To print money – Sum khenkhiasak
- To declare war – Galsim ding khensat
- To create an army – Galkap phuansak
- To make treaties – Gamdang tawh thukimna laipi bawl
42. Under our Constitution, some powers belong to the states. What is one power of the states? – Gamki-ukna Thukhunpi nuai ah septheih aana neihna pyinete ah kipia hi. Tua aana khat bang ahi hiam?
- Provide schooling and education – Sang leh pilsinna vaihawm
- Provide protection (police) – Palik nei thei
- Provide safety (fire departments) – Meiphelhna leh humbitna vaihawm thei
- Give a driver’s license – Mawtawhawl letmat piathei
- Approve zoning and land use – Gam leh lei zatna vaihawmthei
43. Who is the Governor of your state now? – No pyine aa alianpen Governor tulaitakin kua hiam?
Answers will vary. [District of Columbia residents should answer that D.C. does not have a Governor.] – A dawnna a tuamtek hi ding hi. DC aa teengte in Governor neilo
44. * What is the capital of your state? – No pyine khuapi (myodaw) bang hiam?
Answers will vary [District of Columbia residents should answer that D.C. is not a state and does not have a capital. Residents of U.S. territories should name the capital of the territory.] – A dawnna kibanglo ding. (DC ateengte in myodaw nei tuanlo)
45. *What are the two major political parties in the United States? – USA ah naingnganzi party lian nih bang ahi hiam?
Democratic and Republican – Democratic leh Republican
46. What is the political party of the President now? – Tu laitak aa President pa ii naingnganzi party min bang hiam?
Democratic (party) – Democratic Party
47. What is the name of the Speaker of the House of Representatives now? – Gambup Hlutdaw Okkathah kua hiam?
Paul Ryan – Paul Ryan
C: Rights and Responsibilities – Hamphatna Ngahtheih thute leh I Tavuante
48. There are four amendments to the Constitution about who can vote. Describe one of them. – Gamki-ukna Thukhunpi ah li veitak kipuahphatna ah kuate in mee piathei dingte cih kilemthak hi. Tua lak ah khat gen in.
- Citizens eighteen (18) and older (can vote). – Gammi kum 18 a pha leh a tungsiahte
- You don’t have to pay (a poll tax) to vote. – Mee piak theih nading sumpiak kullo.
- Any citizen can vote. (Women and men can vote.) – Numei pasal a kuapeuh in mee piathei
- A male citizen of any race (can vote). – Kua minam hitaleh gammi pasal khatpeuh in mee piathei
49. *What is one responsibility that is only for United States citizens? – United States gammi bek ii tavuan khat bang hiam?
- Serve on a jury – Thukhen semthei
- Vote in a federal election – Federal (Pyine) kiteelna ah mee piathei
50. Name one right only for United States citizens. – United States gammi khat ii ngahtheih hamphatna khat bang hiam?
- Vote in a federal election – Federal kiteelna ah thu neithei
- Run for federal office – Federal ah meekuang lui thei
51. What are two rights of everyone living in the United States? – United States ah a teeng khempeuh ii ngahtheih hamphatna thu nih bang hiam?
- Freedom of expression – Suakta takin thu pulaakthei
- Freedom of speech – Suakta takin thu genthei
- Freedom of assembly – Suakta takin kikhaikhawm thei
- Freedom to petition the government – Suakta takin kumpi tungah lungkimlohna azukhan(dong) thei
- Freedom of worship – Suakta takin biakpiakna nei thei
- The right to bear arms – Suakta takin thau tawi thei
52. What do we show loyalty to when we say the Pledge of Allegiance? – Zahtak piakding Kamciam (Pledge of Alegiance) I neih ciang’ bang tungah thumaan citak ding I hiam?
- The United States – United States gam tungah
- The flag – Gam ii alan tungah
53. What is one promise you make when you become a United States citizen? – United States gammi khat na suah ciangin na kam kiciamna khat bang ahi hiam?
- Give up loyalty to other countries – Gamdangte tungah muanna leh suanna nei nawnlo ding
- Defend the Constitution and laws of the United States – United States ii Gamki-ukna Thukhun leh Upadite humbit ding
- Obey the laws of the United States – United States ii Upadi zui ding
- Serve in the U.S. military (if needed) – U.S. galkap ah sem ding (akisap leh)
- Serve (do important work for) the nation (if needed) – Gam ading nasep thupi sem ding (akisap leh)
- Be loyal to the United States – United States gam tungah citak muanhuai ding
54. *How old do citizens have to be to vote for President? – President a kiteelna ah mee pia theidingte kum bangzah pha ding hiam?
Eighteen (18) and older – Kum 18 leh a tung siah
55. What are two ways that Americans can participate in their democracy? – American te in Democracy vaipuak ah kiheltheih nading nam nih bang ahi hiam?
- Vote – Meepia
- Join a political party – Naingnganzi party khat peuhpeuh ah kihel
- Help with a campaign – Mee suaina ah huh
- Join a civic group – Civil kipawlna khat ah kizom
- Join a community group – Veeng kipawlna ah kihel
- Give an elected official your opinion on an issue – Thupi khat tawh kisai na ngaihsutna hoihte akiteel upa khatpeuh tungah pulakthei
- Call Senators and Representatives – Hluttaw amat leh kusale te kiang hawh zeel
- Publicly support or oppose an issue or policy – Thupiang thu leh la khat na deihna leh na nialna mipi maiah gen ngam
- Run for office – Zum khat peuh ah ulianna semding kiteelthei, kihel thei
- Write to a newspaper – Tadensa thukizaksakna ah lai at thei
56. *When is the last day you can send in federal income tax forms? – Pyine akhun(tax) piak ding a ni nunung bang ni hiam?
April 15 – April 15 ni
57. When must all men register for the Selective Service? – Galkap nasep peello in sem dingte kum bangzah kikal hiding hiam?
- At age eighteen (18) – Kum 18 phak ah
- Between eighteen (18) and twenty-six (26) – Kum 18 leh 26 kikal ah
AMERICAN HISTORY – AMERICAN TANGTHU
A: Colonial Period and Independence – Gamkekte hun leh Suahtakna ngah dong
58. What is one reason colonists came to America? – Gamdang mite America ah hong paina ahang khat bang hiam?
- Freedom – Suaktanuam
- Political liberty – Naingnganzi sepna ah suakta
- Religious freedom – Biakna ah suahtakna
- Economic opportunity – Nuntaknading baih
- Practice their religion – Amau biaknop biakna peuhpeuh biathei
- Escape persecution – Kigawtna/kibawlsiatna omlo
59. Who lived in American before the Europeans arrived? – Europe mite hong tun ma in America ah kuate teengkhin uh hiam?
- American Indians – American Indians te
- Native Americans – Native American kici America ah a teengciilte
60. What group of people was taken to America and sold as slaves? – Kua mite America ah sal in kizuak ahihiam?
- Africans – Africa gam pan mite
- People from Africa – Africa gam pan mite
61. Why did the colonists fight the British? – America ah hong lalte in banghangin Mangkangte (British) do uh hiam?
- Because of high taxes (taxation without representation) – Phiangsiah piak tamluat hang
- Because the British army stayed in their houses (boarding, quartering) – British galkapte amau gam ah a om hang
- Because they didn’t have self-government – Amau leh mau ki-uk ding kumpi a neih loh hang
62. Who wrote the Declaration of Independence? – Suahtaakna Thupulakkhiat kua in at ahihiam?
Thomas) Jefferson – (Thomas) Jefferson
63. When was the Declaration of Independence adopted? – Suahtaakna Thupulakkhiat cikni in kikipsak hiam?
July 4, 1776 – July 4, 1776
64. There were 13 original states, Name three. – Gam kiphut tungin Pyine 13 om hi. Thum min pulak in
- New Hampshire
- Rhode Island
- North Carolina
- New York
- South Carolina
- New Jersey
65. What happened at the Constitutional Convention? – Gamki-ukna Kikupna Khawmpi ah bang kisemkhia hiam?
- The Constitution was written. – Gamki-ukna Thukhunpi kigelhkhia
- The Founding Fathers wrote the Constitution. – Gamphutkhiacil Pate in Gamki-ukna Thukhunpi geel
66. When was the Constitution written? – Gamki-ukna Thukhunpi (Constitution) cikkum in kigelh hiam?
1787 – 1787
67. The Federalist Papers supported the passage of the U.S. Constitution. Name one of the writers. – Gamki-ukna Thukhunpi sungah Federal tawh ki-ukna ding apiangsak lai-geelte lak ah khat min gen in.
- (James) Madison
- (Alexander) Hamilton
- (John) Jay
68. What is one thing Benjamin Franklin is famous for? – Benjamin Franklin aminthanna ahang khat gen in.
- U.S. diplomat – U.S. diplomat (Palai)
- Oldest member of the Constitutional Convention – Gamki-ukna Thukhun geelna ah a kum ham pen
- First Postmaster General of the United States – U.S ah Postmaster General (Sadaih mang) amasa pen
- Writer of “Poor Richard’s Almanac” – “Poor Richard’s Almanac” kici laibu minthang gelhpa
- Started the first free libraries – Sumpiakloh (akhonkhong) laibusaal masa pen apankhia pa
69. Who is the “Father of Our Country”? – “Ih gam ii pa” kua hiam?
(George) Washington – (George) Washington
70. *Who was the first President? – President masa pen kua hiam?
(George) Washington – (George) Washington
B: 1800s – 1800 hun lai
71. What territory did the United States buy from France in 1803? – 1803 kum in United States in Piantit (France) te kiangpan bang gam lei ahi hiam?
The Louisiana Territory – Louisiana gam
72. Name one war fought by the United States in the 1800s. – 1800 hun lai in United States in a do gal khat min pulak in.
- War of 1812 – 1812 kum Gal
- Mexican-American War – Mexican-American Gal
- Civil War – Tual Gal
- Spanish-American War – Spanish-American Gal
73. Name the U.S. War between the North and the South. – U.S. Saklam leh Khanglam kidona US galmin bang hiam?
- The Civil War – Tual Gal
- The War between the States – Pyine khat leh khat kikal kidona
74. Name one problem that led to the Civil War. – Tualgal a piangsak thubuai khat gen in.
- Slavery – Sila vai
- Economic reason – Neek leh dawn vai
- States’ rights – Pyine te phattuam ngahna vai
75. * What was one important thing that Abraham Lincoln did? – Abraham Lincoln ii sepkhiat athupi mahmah khat bang hiam?
- Freed the slaves (Emancipation Proclamation) – Silate suakta sak (Silate Khahkhiatna Pulakkhiatna)
- Saved (or preserved) the Union – Gambup kembit/humbit zo
- Led the United States during the Civil War – United States tualgal sung makaih
76. What did the Emancipation Proclamation do? – Sila khahkhiatna Thupulakna (Emancipation Proclamation) in bang sem hiam?
- Freed the slaves – Silate suakta sak
- Freed slaves in the Confederacy – Kipawl Kithukimna tawh silate khahkhia
- Freed slaves in the Confederate states – Kipawlna a thukim gamte ah sila kikhahkhia
- Freed slaves in most Southern states – Khanglam gam khempeuh phial-ah sila kikhahkhiata
77. What did Susan B. Anthony do? – Susan B. Anthony in bang sem khia hiam?
- Fought for women’s rights – Numeite ngahding phattuamna phu
- Fought for civil rights – Mipi ngahding phattuamnate phu
C: Recent American History and Other Important Historical Information – Tunai American Tangthu leh A thupi thupiangte
78. *Name one war fought by the United States in the 1900s. – Kum 1900 huam sungah America in a galdo khat gen in.
- World War I – Leitung Galpi Khatna
- World War II – Leitung Galpi Nihna
- Korea War – Korea Gal
- Vietnam War – Vietnam Gal
- (Persian) Gulf War – (Persian) Gulf (Pinlekuih) Gal
79. Who was President during World War I? – Leitung Galpi Kido Masa hun lai in President kua ahi hiam?
(Woodrow) Wilson – (Woodrow) Wilson
80. Who was President during the Great Depression and World War II? – Donghtuah Lianpi Hun leh Leitung Galpi Nihna kido hun in President kua ahi hiam?
(Franklin) Roosevelt – (Franklin) Roosevelt
81. Who did the United States fight in World War II? – Leitung Galpi Nihna hun lai in United States in kuate do hiam?
Japan, Germany and Italy – Japan, Germany leh Italy
82. Before he was President, Eisenhower was a general. What war was he in? – Eisenhower President a suahma in galkap mang General ahi hi. Bang gal do ahi hiam?
World War II – Leitung Galpi II
83. During the Cold War, what was the main concern of the United States? – Cold War kici kilungsimneih gal kidona hun lai in United States in bang buaipih pen hiam?
Communism – Communism kici Kawminit paizia vai
84. What movement tried to end racial discrimination? – Bang lungphona in minam kigimneihna beisak sawm hiam?
Civil rights (movement) – Tualsung hamphatna (lungphona)
85. * What did Martin Luther King, Jr. do? – Martin Luther King Jr, in bang semkhia hiam?
- Fought for civil rights – Tualsung hamphat nading vai phu
- Worked for equality for all Americans – American te khempeuh liangko kikim nading sem
86. What major event happened on September 11, 2001, in the United States? – September 11, 2001 ni in United States ah bang thu lianpi piang ahi hiam?
Terrorists attacked the United States. – Mi-ngongtatte (terrorists) in U.S. sim
87. Name one American Indian tribe in the United States. [USCIS Officers will be supplied with a list of federally recognized American Indian tribes.] – American Indian minam sungah nam khat gen in. [USCIS Uliante kiangah kumpi ciapteh American Indian minamte min kigual om ding hi.]
INTEGRATED CIVICS – THEIHHUAI THU TUAMTUAM
A: Geography – Gamthu
88. Name one of the two longest rivers in the United States. – United States gam ah a sau penpen gunpi nih lak ah khat min gen in.
- Missouri (River) – Missouri (Gun)
- Mississippi (River) – Mississippi (Gun)
89. What ocean is on the West Coast of the United States? – United States ii nitumna lam ah om tuipi bang hiam?
Pacific (Ocean) – Pacific (Tuipi)
90. What ocean is on the East Coast of the United States? – United States ii nisuahna lam ah om tuipi banghiam?
Atlantic (Ocean) – Atlantic (Tuipi)
91. Name one U.S. territory. – U.S. ii uk gam lak ah khat gen in.
- Puerto Rico
- U.S. Virgin Islands
- American Samoa
- Northern Mariana Islands
92. Name one state that borders Canada. – Canada tawh kigamgi pyine min khat gen in.
- New Hampshire
- North Dakota
- New York
93. Name one state that borders Mexico. – Mexico gam tawh kigamgi pyine min khat gen in.
- New Mexico
94. * What is the capital of the United States? – United States ii gam-ukna khuapi min bang hiam?
Washington, D.C. – Washington, D.C.
95. *Where is the Statue of Liberty? – Suahtakna milimpi koi ah om hiam?
- New York (Harbor) – New York (Tembaw kholna ah)
- Liberty Island [Also acceptable are New Jersey, near New York City and on the Hudson (River).] – Liberty Tuikulh tungah [New Jersey, New York khuapi kiang leh Hudson gun tungah zong kici thei hi.
B: Symbols – Ciaptehna lim
96. Why does the flag have 13 stripes? – Banghang in US alan ah agial 13 om hiam?
- Because there were 13 original colonies – Akipatcil in pyine 13 tawh kipan ahih hang
- Because the stripes represent the original colonies – A gial te in zong pyine khatta taang a ding lahna hi
97. *Why does the flag have 50 stars? – Banghang in US alan ah aksi 50 tuang hiam?
- Because there is one star for each state – Aksi khat ciang Pyine khat taang a ding
- Because each star represents a state – Aksi khat in Pyine khat taang suak
- Because there are 50 states – Pyine 50 a om hang
98. What is the name of the national anthem? – Gam Lapi min bang hiam?
The Star Spangled Banner – Aksi Tediamdiam Dialkhai
C: Holidays – Mipi Tawlngak Nite
99. *When do we celebrate Independence Day? – Cikni in Suahtakni kibawl hiam?
July 4 – July 4
100. Name two national U.S.holidays. – U.S. ah tawlngakni nih gen in.
- New Year’s Day – Kumthak Ni
- Martin Luther King, Jr.Day – Martin Luther King, Jr. Ni
- Presidents’ Day – President te Ni
- Memorial Day – Daihawh Ni
- Independence Day – Suahtak Ni
- Labor Day – Nasemte Ni
- Columbus Day – Columbus Ni
- Veterans Day – Galkapluite Ni
- Thanksgiving Day – Lungdamkoh Ni
- Christmas – Lungdambawl Ni
Source: ZAUS/ updated on September 2018 by Sawltak #zomidaily Zomi Association of United States (ZAUS) is an emerging non-profit organization established on March of 2009 and is registered with the State of Oregon. Registry Number: 593147-90. EIN: 26-4574969 (04-01-2009). Zomi Association of United States vision is to help build Zomi community in Portland and connect with other Zomi in the United States and network with Zomi associations worldwide. Associate with other communities on issues of mutual interest, regardless of their ethnic background or national origin. The mission of the Zomi Association USA is strengthening Zomi immigrants and refugees through community development and advocacy for human rights. Its mission is to serve the Zomi community and assist families and individuals to achieve self-sufficiency. Zomi have been coming to United States of America primarily in the last five years from Burma due to religious and racial persecution by the military ruling junta. Many have come from refugee camps in Thailand, Malaysia and India, and are seeking a new life in the United State, EU countries and Australia.